Saturday, January 31, 2015

Crochet!

Alright...
I started crocheting in like... June...? It was super super hard for me and I honestly didn't think I could keep with it. Learning off of youtube is not as easy as people seem to think it will be. I still have yet to sit down with an experienced crocheter and have them critique my self-learned faults, and get some pointers on things I still don't quite get (like crocheting in the round). To be honest, I am very proud of myself..
Everything just clicked one day when I was making the cherry pie hot pad and you have to have two circles. Circles are very hard for me because you have to keep track of your stitches exactly (you don't have to do this if just going back and forth to make something square!) After watching about a million youtube videos of how to make something round I just gave up and decided to actually just try and interpret the pattern. It was weird. Before this looking at patterns was like looking at a foreign language (sc,ch1,sk1,dc,dc2tog, [ch1,picot,slst] x5)... okay. I just made that up. But it looks crazy, yeah? But when I looked at the pattern it made sense. Just like that. And now I no longer do youtube videos and much prefer patterns (with pictures). So there is my origin story. (Though crocheting would be the lamest super power ever.) I still can only do moderate/easy patterns and usually am too lazy undo small mess-ups, so nothing turns out perfect.  
The best part has really been remember how amazing it feels to learn a new skill. People always say to keep learning and blah blah blah. But really, it felt soo good.
I have a few more gifts to finish up, then I'm going to make a blanket, then I'm going to give lace type stuff a try (blessing dresses, doilies...), maybe make me a shawl when I learn how/what blocking is. Then it's on to knitting!



Here is a screen shot of my projects on ravely. You might not be able to see my profile unless you're a member. But this is the general overview. I'm just too lazy to go in and put individuals pictures on here. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment