Tuesday, November 17, 2015

Dear Wormwood,

While I'm posting on here can I just shout out to this song, Dear Wormwood by The Oh Hellos.

The Oh Hellos are currently my favorite band, and they just released a new album where the main song is nod to C.S. Lewis!? What!?!?! My two favorite things coming together.
I love this song so much and no one gets its and I can't discuss it because no one else has read the Screwtape Letters!!
Please, just listen to the lyrics and fall in love. If you don't fall in love go read The Screwtape Letters, then listen to the song, and then fall in love!

The Screwtape letters are about a demon, Screwtape, writing letters to his nephew, Wormwood, who is a junior demon, instruscting him on how to corrupt the soul of this man. This song is from the perspective of the man he is influencing and this song is the man realizing the influence of evil in his life. I LOVE songs with Christian undertones.
This is about realizing your divine nature and rejecting the influences of evil within you.

" And in my hour of weakness, you were there to see my courage fail...Planning without acting, steadily becoming what I hate"

I don't want to spoil the whole thing,
just
Listen. 

Many of my favorite quotes are from The Screwtape Letters, like the one above by my pictures. This is one of my other favorites:

“When He [God] talks of their losing their selves, He means only abandoning the clamour of self-will; once they have done that, He really gives them back all their personality, and boasts (I am afraid, sincerely) that when they are wholly His they will be more themselves than ever.”  

I know it's a harder book for some people to get through because you are seeing the world through the eyes of demons but I feel like it is mocking the devil and his punitive ways to manipulate men. 
Just go read it. It is enlightening. 
I think I'm going to go look for my copy right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment